Under direct supervision, and according to established policies and procedures, performs a variety of duties in the OR and related areas to assist the surgical team.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Scrubs on all types of operating procedures; handles surgical instruments, sutures & sponges; anticipates the needs of the surgeon, assisting as necessary. Maintains strict aseptic technique, assumes joint responsibility with the circulating nurse for ensuring that all are accounted for during and after the operation. Observes patient's condition while in the OR; reports any changes to the staff nurse and/or anesthesia.*
2. Prepares for scheduled operative procedures, ensuring that necessary equipment, instruments and supplies are available and ready for use.*
3. Maintains a clean and safe OR environment; cleans rooms and sterilizes equipment. Restocks OR with standard supplies and assists in updating surgical instrument sets. Maintains power equipment and specialty instrumentation within assigned specialty areas.*
4. Assists in the transportation of patients to and from the OR; verifies patient identity; assists with lifting and positioning of patient for surgical procedures.*
5. May assist as second circulator under the direction of a registered nurse. Prepares materials to be presented in dept in-service education programs as assigned. Assists in the trial and evaluation of new surgical products. Provides input to managers in developing new policies and procedures for the department. Participates on committees as assigned.*
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.*
1. High school diploma or equivalent and...
Equivalent DMC surgical technician training program or...
Equivalent combination of training and/or experience or...
Successful completion of an accredited surgical technician program.
2. Certification by the Association of Surgical Technologists highly desirable.
3. One to two years experience as a surgical technician preferred.
1. Interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively and efficiently with nursing and medical staff in stressful and emergency situations.
2. Physical stamina for prolonged standing, walking, and lifting.
3. Manual dexterity and visual acuity including ability to see fine discriminate detail, to pass instruments, cut sutures, hold retractors, etc.
4. Knowledge of medical terminology and anatomy required.
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Evening
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 2005024326
About DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Tenet Healthcare Corporation is a diversified healthcare services company with 115,000 employees united around a common mission: to help people live happier, healthier lives. Through its subsidiaries, partnerships and joint ventures, including United Surgical Partners International, the Company operates general acute care and specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers and other outpatient facilities. Tenet's Conifer Health Solutions subsidiary provides technology-enabled performance improvement and health management solutions to hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery networks, physician groups, self-insured organizations and health plans.